As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Every since I was a kid, I thought that being weightless would be the coolest thing ever. I had dreams almost every night that I could either fly or jump really high. Neither of those things ever happened. Instead, I got fat and became even more resolutely grounded. Well, not really fat, but I’m a big guy. Even though I’ve been bigger than average since high school it wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I realized that I should probably be looking for products specifically designed for big guys. So I decided to combine my ideas: what is the best product designed for big guys that would make me weightless? The best hammock for big guys of course!
Most of my articles say something along the lines of, “you’ve probably been hearing a lot about X lately because they’re getting super popular….” Well, not so with hammocks. Hammocks have been around forever and have always been recognized as an incredible way to let your stress go or even take a nap.
What hasn’t been around forever is a good hammock for fat guys.
The average weight in the U.S., in particular, has increased steadily, and now, with 73.7% of men considered overweight or obese, why has a heavy-duty big-man hammock been so long in the making?! Well actually, they’ve always been there. There were just never marketed directly to us bigger fellas. So let’s delve deep and find some of the best hammocks for big guys that the world has to offer!
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The 3 Types of Heavy Duty Hammocks
Before we start looking at hammocks, let’s get an idea of what exactly you want. If you have something specific in mind, keep scrolling. If not, let’s look at a few of the options when it comes to types of hammocks!
The weight capacity of a hammock is generally between 250 and 800 pounds. This weight limit is dictated by the materials used, the thickness of the stitching, the mounting points, and the hammock type. Woven hammocks on a metal stand tend to have the highest capacity at around a 500lb average.
One of the main differentiators of hammock weight capacity is the hammock type. Different types of hammocks are typically differentiated by the types of things you will be using the hammock for. Do you want to take it with you to the beach? Will it be in your yard or on your porch? Are you taking it on a camping or backpacking trip? Most hammocks, specially hammocks for big guys, do only one thing well. So, if you’re overweight and want to do lots of different things with your hammock, either get a camping hammock (they’re the most versatile) or count on investing in a couple of different options. The three most common distictions are:
- Lightweight Hammocks. This type of hammock is commonly used for camping, backpacking, festivals, travel, etc. It is the simplest, most durable, and usually have the highest weight capacity.
- Tree-Hung Relaxation Hammocks. Tree hung hammocks are a heavy duty option that works well if you have a spot to put it! They are typically woven and have wooden stays on each end to keep them spread out. The weave typically means they have a lower weight capacity than an all nylon hammocks.
- Stand Hammocks. This type of hammock is most at home on a porch or in a backyard. If you get a heavy duty version they are still capable of supporting 400 pounds or more.
So, if you have in mind what you want to use your hammock for, let’s talk about specific hammocks that you’ll want to check out for each use!
The Best Plus Size Hammocks For Big Guys
MalloMe: Best All Around Option
Forget heavy duty beach chairs, if you’re looking for comfort on the go, get a parachute hammock! If you want a hammock for casual camping, taking to festivals, hanging in trees at the park, etc. then this is the one for you! It is dirt cheap, super comfortable, and has the highest capacity of any hammocks on this list (1000lbs!). While this isn’t the hammock I would choose to hang in my yard to relax in, it’s good for just about everything else. And, since the double-sized version weighs less than two pounds, carrying it to new places will never be a chore!
Some other features that give it the title of Best Hammock for Big Guys:
- The hammock straps are included! Most hammocks come without straps so, unless you order them, you’ll be a sad tigger and won’t be able to use your big man hammock until you order straps. If you order the Mallome, you can bypass this problem and get matching high capacity straps you know will work!
- The stuff sack is sewn onto the side of the hammock so, even if you leave it up for a week-long camping trip, you’ll always be able to put it away quickly and easily!
- With the included straps (and carabiners) this hammock can literally be out of the bag and hanging up in way less than a minute!
- Did I mention the price? Seriously, I’ve spent more on lunch. (not regularly…but this is a crazy cheap hammock for the amount of fun and uses you can get out of it!)
So, if you need a big man hammock, get the double size version (which can actually fit two above-average-sized adults) and get relaxing!
Sunnydaze: Best For Relaxation
If you’re looking for a hammock that you can relax (or sleep) in for hours on end, this is without a doubt the winner. It’s 55″ wooden spreader bars will ensure that even the widest users can easily fit without the hammock folding around them! While it’s 450lb weight capacity is less than the above hammock, it’s more than enough for most big guys. However, I will say that I’ve seen a big man, a dog, and two kids in this (well over the weight limit) and it didn’t even groan!
Some other features I love about this hammock:
- The tightly woven fabric won’t let your elbow or hands slip through (and won’t leave painful impressions on your skin). But it is airy enough that you won’t get sticky or sweaty!
- Colors will not fade or bleed into your clothing
- The stainless steel end rings will not bend/break or fray over time as rope ends will.
So, while I wouldn’t say that this is the most versatile big man hammock (I wouldn’t take it backpacking for instance…) it is probably the best hammock for big guys when it comes to comfort! So if you’re looking to spend lost of relaxing hours floating above the ground, get yourself one!
Just be aware that you’ll have to grab a stand from Amazon to hang it on.
*Remember, this hammock doesn’t come with a stand or tree straps so, if you need them, don’t forget to pick them up!
eno: Best For Camping (400lb Capacity)
If you are looking for a hammock strictly for backpacking or camping, or you’re in another situation where every ounce matters, you should know about ENO. Eagle’s Nest Outfitters specializes in making lightweight hammocks for fat guys that are high quality but won’t break the bank. They are more expensive than our number one choice so, unless weight matters, scroll back up and get the Mallome. However, if you need a huge number of color choices, want to shave off every bit of weight possible, and fit within this hammock’s 400-pound weight limit, get one! (and some hammock straps too since they’re not included….)
Vivere: Best Heavy Duty Stand Hammock
If you are looking for a complete hammock setup, don’t go to Walmart. You can get a perfect set-up that will support up to 450 pounds straight from Amazon! Forget hammock straps, this package includes not only the hammock and clips but the stand and a carry bag as well!
- The heavy-duty steel stand assembles in minutes and without any tools, making this the perfect option for trips to the beach, short jaunts to the park, etc.
- The heavy cotton fabric of the bed is extremely comfortable while the polyester ends ropes are more resistant to sun-rot and wear than tradition hammock materials
- Don’t have trees to hang this in? No worries! With the stand, you can use this absolutely anywhere! In fact, many users put this hammock up in their house or basement for relaxing at home.
- Hammock hooks on the frame are easily adjustable so you can choose how much you want the hammock to sag and how low you want if to be. After all, what is the point of a hammock for fat guys if you have to jump to get into it?!
So, if you want to avoid piecing together what you need for a comfortable hammock experience, get this package! It is high capacity, heavy-duty, comes complete, and looks great!
Hopefully finding a heavy-duty hammock for yourself or an overweight friend is no longer the chore it once was! I hope that the above 4 options were helpful and that you were able to find the best hammock for fat guys (or gals) that will meet your specific needs. Do remember, not one size fits all so be sure to check the weight limit on whatever you buy and be sure to stick to it! After all, no one wants to end up on the ground with a sore bum and an empty wallet after their expensive new big man hammock collapses! Happy relaxing!
Other Articles You’ll Enjoy: