DesignBigger.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Ever since I was young, I thought that being weightless would be the coolest thing ever. I had dreams almost every night that I could either fly or jump really high. Neither of those things ever happened. Instead, I got fat and became even more resolutely grounded. Well, not really fat, but I’m a big guy. Even though I’ve been bigger than average since high school, it wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I realized that I should probably be looking for products specifically designed for big guys. So I decided to combine my ideas: what is the best product designed for big guys that would make me weightless? The best hammock for big guys, of course!
Most of my articles say something along the lines of, “you’ve probably been hearing a lot about X lately because they’re getting super popular….” Well, not so with hammocks. Hammocks have been around forever and have always been recognized as an incredible way to let your stress go or even take a nap. What hasn’t been around forever is a good hammock for fat guys. The average weight in the U.S. in particular has increased steadily, and now with 73.7% of men considered overweight or obese, why has a big man hammock been so long in the making?! Well actually, they’ve always been there. There were just never marketed directly to us bigger fellas. So let’s delve deep and find some of the best hammocks for big guys that the world has to offer!
Common Types of Hammocks for Heavy People
Before we start looking at hammocks, let’s get an idea of what exactly you want. If you have something specific in mind, keep scrolling. If not, let’s look at a few of the options when it comes to types of hammocks!
Different types of hammocks are typically differentiated by the types of things you will be using the hammock for. Do you want to take it with you to the beach? Will it be in your yard or on your porch? Are you taking it on a camping or backpacking trip? Most hammocks, especially hammocks for big guys, do only one thing well. So if you’re overweight and want to do lots of different things with your hammock, either get a camping hammock (they’re the most versatile) or count on investing in a couple of different options. So, if you have in mind what you want to use your hammock for, let’s talk about specific hammocks that you’ll want to check out for each use!
All-around (Lightweight) Best Hammock for Big Guys
Forget heavy duty beach chairs, if you’re looking for comfort on the go, get a parachute hammock! If you want a hammock for casual camping, taking to festivals, hanging in trees at the park, etc. then this is the one for you! It is dirt cheap, super comfortable, and has the second-highest capacity of any hammocks on this list (500lbs!). While this isn’t the hammock I would choose to hang in my yard to relax in, it’s good for just about everything else. And, since the double-sized version weighs less than two pounds, carrying it to new places will never be a chore!
Some other features that give it the title of Best Hammock for Big Guys:
- The hammock straps are included! Most hammocks come without straps, so unless you order them, you’ll be a sad tigger and won’t be able to use your big man hammock until you order straps. If you order this one, you can bypass this problem and get matching, high capacity straps you know will work!
- The stuff sack is sewn onto the side of the hammock, so even if you leave it up for a week-long camping trip, you’ll always be able to put it away quickly and easily!
- With the included straps (and carabiners) this hammock can literally be out of the bag and hanging up in way less than a minute!
- Did I mention the price? Seriously, I’ve spent more on lunch. (Not regularly…but this is a crazy cheap hammock for the amount of fun and uses you can get out of it!)
So, if you need a big man hammock, get the double size version (which can actually fit two above-average-sized adults) and get relaxing!
Best For Relaxation
If you’re looking for a hammock that you can relax (or sleep) in for hours on end, this is, without a doubt, the winner. Its 55″ spreader bars are made of tropical hardwood and will ensure that even the widest users can easily fit without the hammock folding around them! While its 600lb weight capacity is less than the above hammock, it’s more than enough for most big guys. However, I will say that I’ve seen a big man, a dog, and two kids in this (well over the weight limit) and it didn’t even groan!
Some other features I love about this hammock:
- The tightly woven fabric won’t let your elbow or hands slip through (and won’t leave painful impressions on your skin). But it is airy enough that you won’t get sticky or sweaty!
- Fabric is 100% rainproof and the vibrant colors will not fade or bleed into your clothing
- The stainless steel end rings are the largest and strongest in the industry, ensuring that they will not rust, bend, or break over time.
- These guys are the original maker of this style of hammock and have been making them for more than 20 years! In fact, many people who brought them back from vacation to Key West (where they started) 10-15 years ago are ecstatic to find out that they are now available on Amazon!
So, while I wouldn’t say that this is the most versatile big man hammock (I wouldn’t take it backpacking, for instance…) it is probably the best hammock for big guys when it comes to comfort! So if you’re looking to spend lost of relaxing hours floating above the ground, get yourself one!
Best for Camping
If you are looking for a hammock strictly for backpacking or camping, or you’re in another situation where every ounce matters, you should know about ENO. Eagle’s Nest Outfitters specializes in making lightweight hammocks for fat guys that are high quality but won’t break the bank. They are more expensive than our number one choice though, so unless weight matters, scroll back up and get the Mallome. However, if you need a huge number of color choices, want to shave off every bit of weight possible, and fit within this hammock’s 400-pound weight limit, get one! (And some hammock straps too, since they’re not included….)
Best Budget Option for Your Yard or Porch
If you are looking for a complete hammock setup, don’t go to Walmart. You can get a perfect set-up that will support up to 450 pounds (although some users say it will support way more) for under $100 right here! Forget hammock straps, this package includes not only the hammock and clips, but the stand and a carry bag as well!
- The heavy-duty steel stand assembles in minutes and without any tools, making this the perfect option for trips to the beach, short jaunts to the park, etc.
- The heavy cotton fabric of the bed is extremely comfortable, while the polyester end ropes are more resistant to sun-rot and wear than traditional hammock materials.
- Don’t have trees to hang this in? No worries! With the stand, you can use this absolutely anywhere! In fact, many users put this hammock up in their house or basement for relaxing indoors.
- Hammock hooks on the frame are easily adjustable, so you can choose how much you want the hammock to sag and how low you want it to be. After all, what is the point of a hammock for fat guys if you have to jump to get into it?!
So, if you want to avoid piecing together what you need for a comfortable hammock experience, get this package! It is high capacity, heavy-duty, comes complete, and looks great!
Finding the best hammock for yourself or an overweight friend is no longer the chore it once was! I hope that the above 4 options were helpful and that you were able to find the best hammock for fat guys (or gals) for your specific needs. Do remember, there’s no single big man hammock that fits everyone, so be sure to check the weight limit on whatever you buy – and stick to it! After all, no one wants to end up on the ground, with a sore bum and an empty wallet, after their expensive new big man hammock collapses! So save yourself the trouble, and if you are conflicted, just order the complete package. Happy relaxing!
Other Articles You’ll Enjoy:
Last update on %last_update% / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API