As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Inversion tables are the latest trend in homeopathic treatments but, unlike other trends (sugar mountain diet anyone?) there is a slew of scientific evidence that supports inversion table use. This is especially true for heavy people who are particularly prone to many of the issues helped by an inversion table such as varicose veins, joint pain, and sciatica.
The first time I heard of the value of hanging upside down it was in reference to regrowing thinning hair. I was 23 and balding so I headed to the playground of a local school and hung upside down from the monkey bars. Needless to say, the extra blood flow to my head did not cause my hair to sprout overnight. The idea of inversion therapy passed out of my mind until many years later when I was suffering from sciatica brought on by a terrible mattress. Since I was no longer able to hand upside down on the monkey bars, I decided to look into inversion tables for big and heavy people. Little did I expect that I would be able to improve my life far beyond just reducing my pain!
7 Scientifically Proven Benefits of Inversion Table Use
So let’s talk about some of the scientifically proven benefits that users can expect from the use of an inversion table. Actually, before that, if you are already aware of the benefits and just want to know what the best inversion table with a 400 pound capacity is, it’s this one:
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Now, back to the benefits:
- Reduces pressure in your back and neck. This is probably the main reason that people look into inversion therapy and is the area where the benefits may be the most dramatic. All-day long, gravity is pulling down on your body, doing its best to compress your spine. The little pads of cartilage (disks) are under constant pressure as your spine keeps you upright. Reversing the effect of gravity through inversion can relieve pain, help your disks to stay in place, and even make you taller! (at least for a few hours until gravity squishes you back down.
- Relief from varicose veins. Varicose veins are formed when your body is unable to pump the blood back up out of your legs and it pools on top of the one-way valves. Raising your feet above the level of your heart reduces the effort that it takes to circulate your blood and cause relieve the pain associated with varicose veins.
- Reduction (or eradication) of sciatica pain. Many people who suffer severe sciatic pain get nearly instant relief from inversion therapy. Allowing your nerves to relax and everything to fall back into place can relieve the pinching and nerve stimulation associated with sciatica pain. Often, it only takes sporadic sessions when the pain starts coming back to keep it at bay long term.
- Stress relief. If you’ve ever wondered why people who do yoga are so calm and collected, it may be for the simple reason that many of their positions and stretches put them in a position with their head below the heart. This activates the parasympathetic nervous system which the control center that tells our body that rest and relaxation are in order.
- Increased blood flow to your brain and scalp. Increased blood flow to your head has been shown to increase mental clarity, increase hair growth, and even improve your skin!
- Increased Mobility. The improved spine health of patients that engage in regular inversion therapy sessions often allows them a greater range of pain-free movement! Many people, including the obese, the elderly, and those with arthritis have been able to regain the movement they had years ago!
- Reduces Pain and (possibly) prevents the need for surgery. Because of the pain reduction associated with the use of a heavy-duty inversion table, many patients have been able to reduce their dependence on pain medication and even forgo surgery!
So now that we’re all sold on the need for an inversion table, let’s talk about the best option out there for big guys and girls, why it’s the best, and what you should be looking for in a heavy-duty inversion table.
Best Inversion Table for Big and Tall
If you weigh over 300 pounds your options for inversion tables become very limited. Luckily for us, the options that there are are high quality and affordable.
Ironman makes several heavy-duty inversion tables that are suitable for big and tall users but the Gravity 5000 is the king of the lot.
Not only is it extremely comfortable and easy to use but it supports users that weigh up to 350 pounds and are up to 6’6″ tall (as well as down to 4’9″ if you have a short spouse)
Despite its heavy duty build the Gravity 5000 is one of the most comfortable inversion tables for big and tall people. It has a super thick 2.5″ of memory foam padding as well as a removable pillow to ensure that you are comfortable while you invert to a full 180 degrees!
Don’t want to invert that far? No worries, there are easily adjustable safety straps to adjust the inversion angle.
Ironman’s proprietary “No Pinch” ankle holder
One of the worst things about a poor quality inversion table is the feeling that you’re hanging from your ankles. It invokes images of medieval jails where they would suspend people from shackles.
The Gravity 5000 is not that type of machine. In fact, Ironman developed its own proprietary “no pinch” system that will allow you to feel secure but remain comfortable no matter the angle you are reclined at!
With quality doesn’t come cheap, the Gravity 5000 is the best value available in-home inversion tables. You don’t have to worry about it breaking or tipping and it will provide even the most consistent users with years of painless service.
Try Before You Buy…
If you have never used an inversion table, you may benefit from trying on at a spa or health center before committing to buying one. While the benefits are a given, it is beneficial to have a feel for how the machine works, what it will feel like, etc. before trying it out.
While living with daily pain can take its toll on your quality of life and even your relationships it is never a good idea to rush into treatment, especially if it is self-administered. Inversion tables are wonderful tools and, when used properly can literally be life-changing.
If you need a high capacity inversion table, you can typically call homeopathic treatment centers and spas and they will gladly let you know whether or not they have an inversion table with a 350 lb capacity. If they do, don’t be surprised if its the Ironman.
Talk To Your Doctor: Our Obligatory Warnings
There are many common mistakes and dangers that come with inversion tables and, if you aren’t aware of the, you might make your issue worse or cause yourself serious harm or death.
We at DesignBigger are not medical professionals and are simply sharing what we have learned through our own experience. To this end, do not follow advice from anyone about inversion tables without first talking to your doctor, especially if you weigh in excess of 400 pounds.
Some of the risks associated with using an inversion table include:
- High Blood Pressure
- Inner Ear Damage
- Broken Bones
- …and more!
Do yourself a favor and take your health seriously. Talk to your doctor, get some experience on an inversion table, and then get the best one out there for overweight people!
I will gladly throw my hat into the ring and tell you that, when used correctly, inversion therapy can literally be life-changing! To know that there is an easy non-surgical treatment that can effectively remove huge amounts of pain from people’s lives is exciting and worth sharing! So get yourself one and feel the relief!