As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
“Oh you’ve been dieting? How much weight have you lost….?”
“Well, I don’t know. I’m still to fat to see the numbers on my bathroom scale…”
“Wait…they don’t make scales for obese people?”
Weighing yourself when you’re big and heavy can be a serious challenge. The problem is, if you can’t weigh yourself, it’s extremely hard to know how your health is progressing, whether your diet and exercise are effective, and whether your weight has changed!
Skinny people love to say that you should trust the mirror rather than the scale but that can’t work for obese people like myself. They say it’s unhealthy to lose more than 2-3 pounds per week and, at that rate, it could take 6 months or more before I start noticing a difference in the mirror. So I need to know my weight!
Thankfully, with the growing number of heavy and obese people, the industry has responded with a bunch of bathroom scales that work awesome for obese people. Before we check out some of our options, remember Pearson’s Law:
What’s measured, improves.
So whether you want a high capacity smart scale, a good looking option for your guest bathroom, or an option with a detached screen, I found 4 options which I feel will serve almost anyone. So let’s see them!
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Heavy Duty Smart Scale for Obese Person
INEVIFIT (Inevitable Fitness) is a brand that truly embodies their purpose: to help you enjoy your fitness tracking journey. While I don’t know that I would say that weighing myself is ever “enjoyable” this scale certainly does take out most of the inconvenience and trouble! They have had a scale which was a nice albeit basic scale for awhile but I have actually been waiting for the release of this scale which has been promised for awhile…and I wasn’t dissapointed!
Many scales are presented to niche markets (such as the Fitbit Aria) and, since people also own a Fitbit, they feel like they need an expensive scale made by the same brand. Totally unnecessarily. This heavy-duty scale not only connects to all the major apps, but they even have an app of their own!
Having a app that tracks and updates your weight means that you’ll never have to worry about being able to see the numbers on the scale or writing them down for future reference.
While this is not a super high capacity bathroom scale, it’s 400lb limit will be more than enough for most people. Also, it supports an unlimited number of users so that everyone in your family (and even guests) can take advantage of it!
If you just came here looking for regular bathroom scales for obese people, you are probably thinking I’m a bit long-winded about this one. But hear me out, with this scale you get the following features:
- One step function: Gone are the days of turning on your scale, tapping it first to make sure it’s working, etc. Simply step on and this scale will weigh you and automatically sync with your app to update your body metrics.
- Full body composition mapping: Knowing how much you weigh is great but it’s only one small piece of the puzzle. Weigh yourself on this scale and you’ll also get a report of your body fat percentage, muscle mass, body water, bone mass, BMI, visceral fat, and even your metabolic rate which can tell you exactly how many calories you should be eating!
- Auto on/off: Done on the scale? Simply step off and put it away. It will take care of itself.
- Free app with lots of compatibilities: If you use a Fitbit app, Google Fit, or even Apple Health then this scale has you covered!
- Tracking over time: Let’s face it, even if you’re making progress, your weight will fluctuate by a couple of pounds per day and some of those days will be higher. The best way to track your weight is over time, specifically over several months. This scale makes it easy.
So if you’re looking for the best bathroom scale for big and heavy people, this is it! Its list of features make this scale purchase a no-brainer. A heavy-duty smart scale is essential in any weight loss arsenal and this one is one of the best!
Highest Capacity Bathroom Scale for Fat Person
If you loved the above scale but it doesn’t quite have the capacity you need, you might be out of luck for a smart scale. It is the most heavy duty smart scale I know of and tops out at 400 pounds. Luckily, there are some excellent high capacity bathroom scales (not smart ones) that will do the job almost as well.
Outside of a bariatric doctor’s office you’ll be hard pressed to find a bathroom scale with a higher capacity than this. A full 700 pound capacity ensures that this scale will work for all but the largest users and will last forever!
However, it is not simply the high capacity and heavy duty construction that make this scale appealing. The company than makes this scale (My Weigh) seems to have a real idea of what it’s like to be obese and built an extra large platform accordingly. If you have trouble maintaining the stability to climb on a scale (or can’t see it and are stepping blindly) then this scale will be a welcome relief.
When I first saw this scale I was concerned by the lack of a detachable screen. Very few of us over 350 pounds (or bigger) are able to easily see out feet and check our weight, no matter how big the scale platform is. This scale comes to the rescue with a talking function! While I’m always carefully to use it in the bathroom with my door shut (just for my own comfort) it is nice to be able to simply stand there and be told your weight.
So, while it may not be smart, it is nearly twice as wide and has 300 pounds more capacity than the above option. So, if those are things that you need, this is the one for you!
Low Profile Heavy Duty Bathroom Scale
If you need a high capacity scale that is on the incognito side, this is a great option. As a big guy, I don’t like broadcasting to the world that I have to buy items built specifically to take my weight. My heavy duty dining rooms chairs look like normal chairs, my shoes are fashionable, and I wear regular jeans. So having an extra wide scale hanging around wasn’t appealing.
Eat Smart has created an attractive (extremely normal) looking scale for a fat person that will dissapear in almost any household. However, a 550 pound rating couples with a 15×13 platform ensures that this scale is still highly useful for big and heavy people!
So if you need a basic scale that doesn’t scream “FOR FAT PERSON!” then this is it!
The Best Bathroom Scale for Big and Heavy People (who can’t see their feet)
When I was a kid, I remember trying to weigh a big awkward suitcase on our bathroom scale. I couldn’t see the readout when it was on the scale so my dad taught me how to weigh myself holding the suitcase, weigh myself without it, and subtract to get the weight of the case. The problem is, I can’t do that with my belly!
If you have mobility problems or are built in a way that you can’t possibly see your feet, seeing the number on the scale can be an impossibility. So, we have three options: ask someone to read our weight for us every-time time, set up a complicated camera system, or just get a scale with a detached readout.
While this scale may look a bit sterile for your home that is, in fact, its intended purpose. It is simply a high quality device that Patient Aid Medical designed for heavy weight users to utilize at home!
This scale features a detachable screen which can either be held or mounted on the wall so you can easily see how much you weigh. It has a good sized platform, textured foot area, and is battery powered so you’ll always be safe and ready!
So, we now have four ways just in this article to get our weight: in an app, out loud, on the readout, or on a detached screen. If the detached screen option appeals to you, this is a solid option.
Do you really need to know your weight?
The short answer to this questions is, yes, scales for obese people are a necessity. The longer answer is, probably…but it depends on your weight. If you are not big and heavy, you might be able to get away with simply looking in the mirror and going off how you feel. Unfortunately, that won’t cut the mustard if you’re obese.
If you’re looking to lose weight, 2 pound per week is a safe and attainable goal. Now, if you have 50 (or more) pounds to loose before you start noticing a significant difference, you could end up wasting almost 6 months looking in the mirror and fooling yourself into thinking you’re losing weight.
So, if you want to take charge of your BMI, you need a regular schedule and weighing yourself and keeping records. While any of the above will help you weigh yourself, getting a smart scale will take care of both!
The advantages of smart scales for obese people:
Even if you’re the type that hates cell phones and records everything in a notebook, you should have a smart scale. Smart scales are advantageous for everyone but obese people are situated to take full advantage of what they have to offer!
Some advantages of using smart scales for obese people include:
- You can learn your body fat percentage. You’ve probably heard this for years, but it’s still true: muscle is much heavier than fat. This means that, if you’re exercising, you can be getting slimmer and more fit while actually gaining weight! If you’re scale tells you your body fat percentage you’ll be able get the full picture and know if the fat you’re losing is being replaced with muscle.
- It means you don’t need a detached screen. Having your weight visable and recorded in an app means that you don’t have to mount your detached screen on the wall or have you scale announce your weight to the world. Simply pull out the scale, weigh yourself, and put it away.
- It records your weight. How much weigh have you lost since you started? How much weight loss are you averaging per week? Well, let me check my app!
- It can integrate with health apps to give you diet feedback. The knockout combination for weightless has always been (and always will be) diet and exercise. A smart scale is an integral tool in getting feedback on your metabolism and adjusting your diet accordingly.
So, in short, I believe that among the scales for obese people that are availalbe, anyone under 400 pounds should be buying a heavy duty smart scale!
Yes, this article was long. However, a high capacity bathroom scale is so necessary for health and weight loss that I wanted to be the person that gave this topic the diligence it deserved. So scroll right back up, pick out your favorite from the top scales for obese people, and make it yours today!