DesignBigger.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Too mature for a heavy duty kick scooter but too poor for a Tesla? Well, settle for the next best thing, a heavy duty electric scooter! Well, the next best thing might actually be a Prius, but if you’re looking for electric transportation over a short distance, through a busy city, or to give you thrills, forget the Prius!
Heavy duty electric scooters have progressed leaps and bounds lately and the flood of new options on the market begs the question, which is best? There are scooters such as Segway’s new Max that are well-reviewed with great specs but most of them are not capable of supporting an adult, let alone a large adult.
The truth is, most average scooters are capable of holding a 250+ person but are not really built to do so. If I jumped on a scooter with a 200-pound capacity right now I’d probably get a range of 8-10 miles instead of the promised 18 and max out at 10mph instead of 16mph. The solution, of course, is to find an electric scooter for heavy people that will be durable, affordable, and fun! Well, we found 5. While they’re not all cheap, they are all fun!
When it comes to scooters, you really have two different options. The budget option is suitable for most people who want to get around town, cruise the boardwalk, let their kids ride them, etc. However, those are not performance options. While they work for heavy people, you might be left feeling like your doodling your way along the sidewalk while real traffic (and bikes) fly by.
The other option is a totally different animal. A performance electric scooter can support weights of up to 550 pounds while maintaining a massive range and high performance. The main issue here is that, because of the necessary motor and battery, they aren’t cheap. If you are over 300lbs, you might just have to resign yourself to shell out the cash for a performance version. For everyone else, you really need to decide what you want to do with your heavy duty electric scooter and how much you’re willing to spend to get there!
Our Criteria for Choosing an Electric Scooter for Large Adults
- Weight Capacity. First and foremost, we need to know what weight range a scooter is designed for. I’m less concerned about a scooter breaking on me that just getting crappy performance, battery life, and longevity. If you are too big for your scooter you’ll likely be underwhelmed and your scooter with die a quick death.
- Battery Capacity. Nearly all of the electric scooters on the market use lithium-ion batteries. Since the brushless motors they use have a very similar level of efficiency, the bigger the battery, the farther you can ride on a charge. Don’t be deceived by someone with the same size battery as everyone else but promising a much longer range. It just doesn’t work. Charging less is always better in my books so we defaulted to larger batteries when possible. This is especially true for heavy people as it takes more energy to get your weight moving and maintain peak speed.
- Reviews. During the research portion of this article, I read literally hundreds of reviews to narrow down our options. In my reading, I was looking for 4 main things that I couldn’t learn from the spec sheet: durability, ease of use, ride quality, and quality of customer service.
- Price. If you want a certain level of performance, you have to pay for it. With that being said, I did my best to steer clear of brands that overcharge just for their name and scooters whos specs simply did not justify the price. Because of this, you might not recognize a few of the brand names in our review. Just take that as a sign that you are paying money for the quality of the item, not a brand name.
Beyond those four items, you may be partial to a scooter because of looks/color or because one offers perks such as a seat. Whatever works for you, we did our best to find the best scooters that represent a wide range of all options including taste. Odds are, one of these will be perfect for you! So let’s see the lineup!
The Best Heavy Duty Electric Scooter
At first glance, you might think that this scooter is basic and it is…in the same way that a matte black stealth bomber is basic. Don’t let this one fly under the radar though because it is packed with featured that totally blew me away for the price (and won it the title of best heavy-duty electric scooter).
- The scooter folds up in just 3 seconds so you can pick it up to take on the bus, into work, class, etc.
- The regenerative battery recharges itself every time you brake or are cruising downhill.
- In the companion app, you can see your speed, set cruise control, turn the lights on and off, see riding statistics, and even lock/unlock your scooter to keep it safe!
- The detachable seat allows you to take a seat on long straight rides and also allows a wider range of people to use this scooter.
- The light system is bright and there are 3x the lights that a normal scooter has. Believe me, when you’re moving fast on a scooter and don’t have a ton of protection, you want cars to see you!
- The double braking system will make sure even heavy people can slow down quickly and reliably, a must in an electric scooter for large adults!
Even with the overwhelming number of good attributes, there are a few things that could be better about this scooter:
- The 17-mile range and 18.6mph top speed aren’t really anything to write home about but they are respectable for a scooter in this price range and are adequate for most people.
- The 260-pound capacity is adequate for most adults and heavy people but this is the least heavy duty electric scooter on our list.
The Best Heavy Duty Electric Scooter for People on a Budget
If you liked everything about the scooter above but it’s a bit out of your price range, this might be the best electric scooter for you! It is very similar to the Hiboy but $100 cheaper and about $100 less exciting. It is a little bit slower, has a little bit less range, and doesn’t have a companion app.
With that being said, it is the cheapest heavy duty electric scooter for heavy people that will actually get the job done. It’s 264 pound weight capacity means that it is very usable for both adults and kids if you want to spend a day at the park, etc.
So if you are in need of a scooter for fun or transport, this will do both at a great price!
Electric Scooter for Large Adults Who Want a Seat
While this isn’t a heavy duty electric scooter by the strictest definition, it is heavy duty, it is electric, and it scratched the same itch as a scooter. At least for me!
If you are looking for a scooter mainly for getting from point A to point B, standing is going to get old. If you want scootering to be an experience in and of itself, it can be fun. But if it’s nothing but a method of transportation, you’ll be better off getting something a little faster and a little more comfortable.
This scooter is capable of zipping along at 28mph and has up to a 35-mile range which is right on par with a heavy-duty electric scooter in the same price range. Add into the mix its 440-pound capacity and it is one of the cheapest options for big and heavy people who need a personal electric vehicle to get around.
So if comfort and speed are a high priority for you, this is a great option! You still don’t need to insure or register your vehicle (in most states) and don’t need a license to drive it (probably…check your state to be sure)
Highest Capacity Electric Scooter (550lbs)
If you are in the 400-500 pound range (or just want the most heavy duty scooter possible) then let me introduce you to the Q1. It is the beefiest scooter we reviewed with a full 550 pound capacity! Not only does it have a killer capacity, but it also has the most powerful motor and battery in this price range to ensure that, if you can fit on this scooter, it can get you around.
Some of the best features (in my humble opinion) include:
- 3 Speed Limits. If you have kids or someone less sure who wants to try this scooter, just turn the speed down! You can limit the speed to 12, 25, or 37mph.
- IP66 waterproofing means you can ride this scooter in the rain and it’ll be totally fine! Just keep it out of the pool.
- It has a bunch of cool accessories including a keyfob/remote control, horn, kickstand, mud flap, and even a USB port for charging your phone on the fly!
- It’s powerful 800-watt motor can power this thing for up to 65 miles and can tackle hills up to 35 degrees!
- The larger-than-average pneumatic wheels provide great traction as well as providing additional cushioning and protection from bumps.
So if you’re big and heavy, this is the most affordable “performance” scooter on the market. There are cheaper options with worse performance and higher performing options for twice as much but, for most people, this scooter hits a sweet spot!
The Longest Range Stand-Up Electric Scooter
Let’s get the obvious thing out of the way right at the beginning. As far as heavy duty electric scooters go, this one is expensive. However, it has the absolute best performance of any electric scooter and will carry you faster, farther, and be more durable than any other option. So if you are one of those fine people who need the best there is, let’s go talk about what you’ll be getting!
- The 5000w motor is 2.5x more powerful than the next closest scooter on this list. This gives it the top speed of 50-60 mph (depending on terrain and rider weight) as well as an incredible 83-mile range!
- It comes with perks such as keyless remote shut-off and lock, remote alarm system, horn, compass, light up deck, full front suspension, tail lights and blinkers, and a super bright headlight!
- A 385-pound weight capacity is sufficient enough for every kid and most adults!
- Want to sit? It comes with a detachable seat.
- If you need an extra battery (usually the first thing to fail on a heavy duty electric scooter) or replacement parts you can get them straight from the manufacturer.
In summary, if you’re a big guy or heavy gal and want an electric scooter that will perform amazingly no matter your weight, this is it! It is expensive, but imagine if you never had to pay for a taxi/uber or your subway pass again! (Or gas/registration/insurance if you owned a car…)
Is an electric scooter the best transportation option for you?
When it comes to getting around the city, I’ve always hated not being in control of things. Not only do I have to rely on others to get me places, I have to pay them for it! Being able to walk out my door, hop on my scooter and grab lunch at a place a couples miles away without paying for a taxi or spending an hour walking is so liberating. I can honestly say that buying a heavy duty electric scooter will be a game-changer for most people.
And if you just want to have a blast on one? Even easier! If you want to play around at the park, cruise around campus, or hang out on the boardwalk, an electric scooter can make everything easier and more convenient. And if you have a scooter that you can easily lock through the app (or with a fob) then you never have to worry about your investment. Just be ready for your friends to be jealous when they’re walking, on bikes, or trying to keep up on a longboard. So if you’re ready to save the miles on your shoes, get a heavy duty electric scooter today! Just don’t forget the helmet….
Related Articles You’ll Enjoy
Last update on %last_update% / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API